Designers: Gwladys Alonzo, Flavie Audi, Aude Briet, Jeanne Gautier, GGSV – Stéphane Villard &
Gaëlle Gabillet, Christian Ghion, Kaspar Hamacher, Iveta Heinacka, Mathilda Kästel, Pierre Lhoas, Amaury Poudray, Michel Philippon, Lucile Soufflet
Glassblowers: Adrien Morin, Cyril Astler, Gérald Leger, Hervé Grimal, Laurent Odin, Patrick Pansler, Romuald Lambeaux, Simon Ballagh
Founded in 1826, Saint-Just Glassworks is the last production house specialized in coloured-glass for modern architectural application. Since 1921, the factory has been a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain Group. Saint-Just is particularly renowned for the restoration of Matisse, Chagall, Miro and Léger stainless glass windows as well as monuments including Palace de Versailles. The production house also works on more modes historical buildings to ensure the insulation and lamination of windows.
Solid, tinted glass is placed in the furnace in the evening as to reach the correct temperature for work at 6:00 the next day. Gather then accumulate incandescent glass with a blowpipe and begin forming the material – making a cylinder while blowing and swinging the tool simultaneously. They then open them up with a blowtorch creating a cut along the shape’s length. Reheated and flattened, the glass is re-friend to reduce tension and prevent breaking. Glass plates are squared off in rectangular formats.
With a French Living Heritage Company label, Saint-Just Glassworks has an unmatched expertise – allying traditional techniques with modern performance. During this workshop, the usual process was reversed: objects became material and micro-architecture destined for indoor or outdoor use. With glass blown and drawing at Saint-Just Glassworks, a wide range of possibilities were explored. Invited designers work with students in pairs.